Thursday, February 7, 2013

God's Amazing, Sustaining Grace

     With a slight chill in the morning air and the blanket of darkness beginning to be swallowed up by the light of day, I opened my eyes...eager to see what this day might bring.  I sat up, swung my legs off the edge of the bed, and used my toes to feel around for the cozy Muk Luks that I knew must be within toe's reach.  After slipping my feet into the warm woven slippers, slowly, I made my way to the living room (the hub of all activity in the Marshall home) to greet the children with their usual hugs, kisses, and breakfast orders.  As I reached the living room, however, the vision of happy, smiling children ready to greet me with a kiss was quickly replaced with the reality of what really faced me on this morning...scattered piles of unfolded laundry from the previous day, two sick children stretched out upon the couch burning hot with fever, toys covering most of the floor like a creeping fungus, and the repulsive smell of yesterday's garbage reeking from the nearby trash.  In an instant, the eagerness that I had felt just moments before was replaced by a feeling of dread of what the day would surely bring. 

     Fighting the temptation to fall haphazardly upon the floor and weep bitterly, I sighed, rather ashamed by my approaching emotional meltdown.  "How is it that my circumstances have such a powerful influence over my emotions?"  With eyes tightly shut, I attempted to drown out the scene that had almost led to my emotional unraveling...  

         ..."My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is   made perfect in weakness."  
 Over and over again, I repeated it.  Then, God so kindly brought still other verses to mind...   
       ..."But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus," (Philippians 4:19)...
       ..."He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows," (Isaiah 55:4).

     As I slowly opened my eyes, I could feel the truth of God's words sinking deeply into my being.  Before me, still sat the same piles of scattered laundry, the same two fever stricken children, the same toys littering the floor, and the same repulsive smell of yesterday's garbage; yet, at that moment, His grace was visible to me.   
And now, by God's grace, I no longer dread what this day will bring, but I now eagerly await more and more of HIS sustaining grace.  

Maybe right at this very moment, you are suffering from a long-standing illness that leaves you feeling weak and in constant pain...friend, God's grace is expedient enough to heal and prolonged enough to supply for each difficult day that you may face.

Maybe resources are scarce and you wonder how you can possibly create a meal for your family out of the three remaining ingredients in your cupboard...friend, God's grace is bountiful enough to provide for you and your family.

Whatever circumstance you may be facing this day...May you eagerly await more and more of God's amazing, sustaining grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment