Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Fallen Chair, A Faithful Father

The piercing cry that resounded through the rooms of our home, was no doubt that of an injured child.  I quickly ran in the direction of the desperately sounding cry, my heart racing.  "I had only left the room a moment earlier...What could have possibly happened?" 

 When I arrived upon the scene, there before me was a scared, trembling, and helpless child, pinned onto the hard floor beneath a fallen chair.  Avidan looked up at me with tear-filled eyes...I wanted to cry too.  As quickly as I could, I gently lifted the chair off of his tiny little frame, praying to God that he was not injured.  As soon, as the chair was safely out of the way, I bent down over my son, scooped him up into my arms, and pulled his sweet little head close to my chest, whispering in his ear, "Mommy is here, Avidan, Mommy is here."

Without hesitation, Avidan wrapped his short little arms around my neck, reciprocating the gentle comfort that I tried to give him.  Within a few moments, his cries began to hush, turning to just a tiny whimper.  Soon, all that remained was a quiet, helpless child, clinging to my neck.  

Since then, I have replayed the events of that day in my mind over and over again.  I also have thought about the times that I have felt scared or alone...the times I have felt overcome with pain.  And yet, unlike my sweet child, I often times did not turn to my Heavenly Father for comfort for my scared and trembling body.  Rather, I ran away thinking to myself, "It will be okay, I just need to get over it."  OR  "I just need to be strong right now."  

Have you ever felt that way?  Have you ever desired so desperately to be comforted, yet were too proud to allow it, like me?  Why is it that as adults, we are often times too prideful to seek the comfort of our Heavenly Father when we walk through trails?  Ahh, I desire so deeply to be like my son.  I desire to cry out to my Heavenly Father for my every need...fear...pain.

The Bible contains verse after verse confirming  that God is with us through our trials: (This list hasn't even scratched the surface)
"When I said, "My foot is slipping," your love, O Lord, supported me.  When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul."  Psalm 94:18-19
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble."  Psalm 46:1
"I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears."  Psalm 34:4
"So, do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."  Isaiah 41:10
Maybe today, you are like that of a helpless, trembling child.  Maybe your marriage seems to be falling apart before your very eyes.  Possibly, you are struggling with infertility, wondering if you will ever be able to hold the child that you have dreamt about for so long.  Or, maybe you are facing the possibility of losing your job, questioning how you are going to pay this month's mounting bills.  Or maybe your are suffering from depression or some physical illness, feeling as though you are all alone.  Be encouraged!  God desires to scoop you up from underneath the chair that has entrapped you and pull your helpless frame close to His chest...He desires to lovingly whisper in your ear, "Daddy is here (your name), Daddy is here."  

1 comment:

  1. Satin, you have a GIFT in your writing and I've been so blessed and encouraged by all of your stories. I have had a hard time lately--like on the brink of depression-- thinking about Laney's future and who will take care of her when her dad and I are gone. Thru a series of events and conversations, God revealed to me that He will take care of her, just as He has done every day of her life thus far. I can't begin to explain the relief that He has placed upon me. And I know it's HIM! Thank you for being such an advocate for all special needs children. They are truly HIS blessing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete